[torsen] Re: [s-cars] RE: T-giving play and some notes...

Jani.Peltopuro at poyry.fi Jani.Peltopuro at poyry.fi
Wed Nov 29 09:23:03 EST 2000

To get my share of the forbidden T-discussion, that Scott can't just seem
to stop I'll ask the following questions:

-Why is the 20V urquattro (T.....) considered to be one of the finest
handling examples of its breed as a performance ROAD car?
-How is it possible *if* the T..... is hopelessly flawed as a 4wd solution
for the ROAD?
-Why didn't Audi just stick to the wonderful lockable diffs in the ROAD
cars?
-Since Audi abandonded lockable diffs, why didn't Subaru or someone else
start using them in their ROAD performance models? Land Rover not counted.

And please no pissing contest, I know that Mr. Rohrl for one has said that
Tors.. is unpredictable on the limit, in racing. I also know that carbon
brake discs are great in F1 but suck on the street. So answer my question
seriously considering the ROAD use.

BTW, I earlier had a VW Passat G60 Synchro, 160 hp with VC 4wd, and I much
prefer the Torsen cars. The VC always understeered (predictable yes, fun
no),the torsen oversteers most of the time on throttle. Same negative
experience from GM's Calibra turbo 4x4, also VC.

Regards,
Jani
RS2 -95 (oops with Torsen, am I banned?)

qshipq at aol.com
11/29/00 03:58 PM