[torsen] Re: [V8] Q about diff lock?

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Fri Dec 7 21:20:02 EST 2001

The early v8 autobox used a electronic locking center diff and torsen LSD
rear.  The 5spds and later autoboxes used torsen center diffs and torsen LSD
Rear.  The center locking on the early v8 is similar to the locking diff of
the 885ktq, but is electronic autolock 50f/50r instead of manually lockable.
The rear torsen is a 78/22 (audi refers to it as an 80% locker) gear type
LSD.

Having driven the 90 v8 at a few track events, I find the center locker to be
only a challenge if the car decides to kick down and lock center at the same
time.  The rear torsen really gives little to the 100% locker of the 5ktq,
since to really make the full locker work to your advantage, you need to
constantly lock and unlock it (see various Steamboat event reports in the
archives) to gain a rather narrow traction advantage.

HTH

Scott Justusson
Lockers aplenty
'87 5ktqw
'84 urq
'83 urq
In a message dated 12/7/01 6:57:56 PM Central Standard Time,