[torsen] Re: [s-cars] "Correcting" understeer

Jani.Peltopuro at poyry.fi Jani.Peltopuro at poyry.fi
Thu Jan 18 13:25:07 EST 2001

SJ wrote:

One has to
question Jani, given the ease of availability of the RS2 part here, why it

wasn't used.  In the context of rear ASB discussions vs spring rates on
this
list something to consider.
<

The propable reason they did not use the RS2 rear bar in the S2 rear
suspension is that it does not fit. I've looked it at both the cars from
underneath, and I'm 95% certain the parts are not interchangeable. In the
ETKA the part numbers are same, except for the L/H, but these look
different.

The market for uprated S2 rear bars is somewhat limited, so MTM will not
produce one. And if you can get it right with springs,why bother. My S2
was quite nice with very stiff rear and not quite so stiff fronts, (from
the 200 20V rally cars asfalt springs...I mean stiff) but the street use
suffers, no comfort at all. That is why I'd consider doing it with roll
bars.

About neutral I still will disagree with you, regardless of the weight
balance of a car, neutral is neutral. A little like red is red, whether
it's a Ferrari of a Fiat. Neutral goes where you point it, if it starts
drifting,both ends loose traction at the same time -> 4-wheel drift.

Best regards,
Jani