[torsen] Big rear bar-snap oversteer

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Sat Jan 27 14:01:04 EST 2001

In a message dated 1/27/01 12:24:36 PM Central Standard Time,
eringelberg at hotmail.com writes:

> My own experience:
>
>  Dry roads, great tires, and a big rear bar is nothing but a pleasure. I
use
>  a big rear bar on my 4kq and even a nissan pathfinder. But come winter, I
>  take the bar ends off. I find that snap oversteer happens much more
readily
>  with a big rear bar.

A couple of problems. When you can lock the center, you have 2 (3 with rear
locked) wheels with traction, so lifting isn't a huge problem.  In the Torsen
center, the lifting is a huge problem, because 3BR x Ot (to the lifted
wheel), is 0 torque to the other axle.

>  The real problem with a big rear bar however is that it takes away
traction.

In terms of the Torsen center, this is a HUGE issue.  Just before lift, all
sorts of things are happening in the center diff.  Once lifted, you got
nothin from nothin.

>  What is really needed is to ADD traction at the front. Bigger rims,
stiffer
>  springs (up to a point), and wider tires are ther real prescription.
Better
>  still, get rid of all the front weight you can.

I'd agree with the last part.  The only problem with that is where the weight
is, most of it in front of the centerline, which means it has a leverage
effect.  Adding traction at the front is a better formula.  Don't forget too,
that the simplest way to improve the handling of a torsen car is to lower the
rear.  Adjustable rear coil overs can do that with excellent results (low
rider for the track, stock height for everyday)

Stiffening the rear of a quattro is a good idea, I'm a fan of springs more
that antiroll bars to accomplish this.  You can go pretty stiff on a linear
rate spring, and retain  a good ride and allow more of the suspension travel
that is a major component of the quattro advantage; any generation.

HTH