[torsen] RE:quattro Generations -rear torsens

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Sun Jan 28 08:34:02 EST 2001

In a message dated 1/28/01 1:16:22 AM Central Standard Time,
petersen007 at earthlink.net writes:

> Hi Scott,
>           I was reading this and what I once thought I was concrete on I am
>  now confused. I was under the impression that the V8 automatic was the
only
>  Audi with a rear torsen. Which other cars have rear torsens? Do V8 manuals
>  have 2 torsens (all 50 or whatever in the US)?

My understanding is that the only car with rear torsen is the v8 - ALL

>           Another set of questions, you mentioned that the V8 rear torsen
>  could be installed on an urS4, does this require axle modifications? Is
>  this a bolt-up affair? What kind of weight will this add to the car? Is
the
>  gearing the same, or would I have to open up the diff to change stuff
around?

The v8 uses a 4.11 gearset, without looking at ETKA or the cars, I would bet
them to be a direct bolt on modification.  That said, I think the only abs S
cars it would fit without abs/edl interface problems would be 92 and early 93
UrS4.  Once you get into the 4channel abs with edl, you will have 2 traction
control devices in the back, IMO, optimistically hoping that they complement
each other.  Not sure about weight, but since you are putting any potential
extra weight in the back, a couple more pounds there isn't going to hurt you
much in terms of handling.

HTH

SJ