[torsen] locking diff. question

Buchholz, Steven Steven.Buchholz at kla-tencor.com
Tue Jun 5 21:49:03 EDT 2001

... actually in position 2 both center and rear diffs should be locked ...

An '86 4kCSQ has the actuator for the center diff lock mounted on the
transaxle, and IME the action is pretty quick as compared to the cable
operated mechanism on the pre-85 cars.  If it truly takes this long to
engage then you have some other problem that needs to be dealt with ...
either there is a problem with the vacuum going to the actuator, a problem
with the vacuum motor itself or the linkage to the center diff is sticking.
Based on your description of the locking behavior it would appear that the
vacuum plumbing is incorrect, so that would be where I would begin ...

... I don't know how familiar you are with the quattro systems, so please do
not take this next comment as demeaning ... but I did want to make sure that
you realized that the quattro is always running in AWD, whether the diffs
are locked or unlocked.  IME it is not often necessary to lock the
differentials ... they are intended to help get maximum traction when one or
more wheels are on slippery surfaces and otherwise open diffs would render
the vehicle immobile.  I also chuckle when reading the owner's manual for
the quattro coupe where it says that locking diffs may be useful in
competition ...

Steve Buchholz
San Jose, CA (USA)