[torsen] RE: Type 44 quattro rear anti-swaybar

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Wed Nov 14 12:04:04 EST 2001

I have Carl Jerritts ex 87 5ktq in my shop fitted with the 92 S4 bar.  I also
have an 87 5ktq full race car with a rear to front facing ASB.  Both required
fabrication to install, both reduced the need for really stiff spring rates,
street or track.

All that said, the '92 S4 bar is a POS, IMO, too many bends in the spagetti
for my taste.  The better method for going after the rear effective spring
rate, is to just change over to a coil over linear spring in the back.  BTDT
on many type 44's (all flavors), including my 87 5ktq wagon.  The long wheel
base of the type 44's means that you can put in some pretty stiff springs in
the back and not sacrifice ride quality.

IME, connecting and disconnecting the rear bar in the street 5ktq, is that
the bar tends to bind up quicker than the linear rate spring, causing
premature wheel lift in comparison to just a stiffer linear spring.

Bottom Line:  If you already have linear rate springs in the back of the 44
chassis car, adding the ASB can fine tune the last nth of handling (we still
aren't speaking of oversteer, just less U), and help reduce the need for
really stiff springs in the back (but really that's a race car issue).  The
wheel lift however, can have the side benefit of helping to control f/r
torque ocillations in the center diff of the Gen II&III quattros (didn't even
need to say the word;), since wheel lift immediately reduces Engine Trg>0.

HTH

Scott Justusson
Type 44tq no rear ASB

Brett,I don't know exactly what Phil was talking about, but.  If you look at
theEtka you will find a sway bar for the 92 S4.  Problem is, it is not a
"bolton" so you will have all kinds of trouble fitting it to a type 44.Mr.
DeWitt Harrison from CO will be happy to help you out since I KNOW forfact
that he acquired one of those bars................Below is a comment from
Dewitt:The bar will not bolt up, at least not to US type 44 cars. There is
noprovision on the rear subframe for the bar clamps and there is noprovision
on the rear bearing carriers (uprights) for the end linkbrackets.DeWitt
Harrison88 5kcstqTake care,Aviwww.ultranator.com