[torsen] Turbo theory

Brian Devlin bdevlin at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 21 01:04:21 EST 2001

Dammit! Why don't these email have a proper "reply-to" built in to them?

OK, so lets say you set up the wastegate to open whenever the
throttle closes. Is that feasible in a purely mechanical setup? Then,
hopefully, the turbo would maintain more-or-less the same speed while
you shift, instead of grenading.
The problems that occured to me had more to do with engine control.
By putting the throttle so far upstream you would have the huge
volume of all the tubing and intercooler between the throttle and
cylinders. First problem: you'd need to fill it up when you step on
it, which might be a noticable delay (or maybe not, if the turbo is
going fast). If you were using CIS, would it go rich while all this
plumbing is filling up?
Second, when you let off the gas all this pressurized air needs to go
somewhere. So if you push in the clutch while releasing the gas, the
rpms would jump sharply. It seems that either a blow off valve or
fuel cut off would be needed to control this.
This is about the time that Javad should suggest EFI, which would be
a good idea anyway.