[torsen] driveshaft center support

Buchholz, Steven Steven.Buchholz at kla-tencor.com
Tue Oct 16 14:05:05 EDT 2001

... perhaps the price has changed, but ISTR that Blau wants somewhere around
$150 for the privilege [just checked, looks like for your car it is only
$109] ... personally, at that price, and considering the fact that the Audi
part will come with new CVJs, boots and u-joint ... that $960 may not be
*so* expensive.
It may be difficult to track down, but if you search the archives on the
main list ( http://www.audifans.com/pipermail/quattro
<http://www.audifans.com/pipermail/quattro> ) you should be able to find
information on BMW part numbers for center support bearings which are
significantly less expensive.  It will probably take a bit of work on your
part to turn the BMW part into something compatible with your propshaft, but
the overall price should be much less.
I am not at all familiar with the propshafts on the newer cars, but I was
able to rebuild the propshaft on my urq and only needed to buy a stock $10
bearing.  It is my understanding that the newer shafts have bonded in
bearings ... but perhaps with some careful work one could extricate the
original bearing and find some way to bond a new bearing in its place.
I have never suggested this possibility before, but hey, this is the
*torsen* list after all!  I think it would be great to figure out a way to
rebuild the bonded carrier bearing/bushing setup ... the incentive is there
to make it truly a low cost repair!
Steve Buchholz

The driveshaft center support on my 1988 Audi 90 Quattro has gone bad.
The local Audi dealer informed me that the support is a non replaceable
part of the driveshaft and therefore I would have to replace the entire
thing at a cost of $960. This is absolutely ridiculous!! I am trying to
find information concerning  a new replacement part or fabrication
specifications (assuming anyone has tried). If you have any info
concerning this problem it would be greatly appreciated.
call Blau, he stocks them