[torsen] Piston ruminations

Buchholz, Steven Steven.Buchholz at kla-tencor.com
Tue Oct 16 19:05:04 EDT 2001

For some time now there has been a group of us who were working together to
get a set of Wiseco pistons for some tweaked 5 cylinder motors.  What we
learned today is that the pistons used on the MC engine are already pretty
nicely spec'ed forged parts, so there are a few of us who are trying to
decide whether it makes sense to continue waiting for the Weiscos, or to see
if perhaps we could just buy some standard pistons from Mahle to meet our
needs.  As I recall our basic requirements were for 82.5mm bore and a static
CR somewhere in the 8.0-8.5 range ... primarily intended for 10v
turbocharged apps.

I am by no means an expert on the tradeoffs involved with deciding upon the
best piston for an app.  It sounds like there are some characteristics of
the factory piston in terms of wrist pin offset and overall shape which are
not possible with the Wiseco application ... but then I don't think it is
possible to get an 82.5mm bore in an Audi turbo app.

I know that Javad would like to be able to move forward with this project if
at all possible, and I know that I for one am on the fence in terms of
whether or not it makes sense for me to go ith the Wisecos ...

TIA for your thoughts and BTDT!

Steve Buchholz
San Jose, CA (USA)