[torsen] re: Piston ruminations

S4audinut at aol.com S4audinut at aol.com
Tue Oct 16 21:54:59 EDT 2001

In a message dated 10/16/2001 7:25:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
auditude at neta.com writes:

> I'm not crazy about the idea of additional piston slap than stock, or
> increased likelihood of detonation due to a less desireable dish
> design or location.
> My primary motivation for getting involved in this deal is to get a
> higher c/r for my 4kstq project, so that off-line performance isn't so
> bad, pre-boost.
> Thanks,
> Ken
> Buchholz, Steven (Steven.Buchholz at kla-tencor.com) posted:

There are alternatives to the 'slap' you have heard about with some forged
pistons. J&E makes some very good forged pistons cut to tighter tolerances
w/better metalurgy so discourage it. Hyperutic pistons are also a good
choice. As to increasing the combustion chamber there are also options such
as reducing combustion chamber size and some really wierd tricks such as
longer rod/shorter piston. I advised someone earlier to call Dialynx in
England as they have built quite a few high HP 10v T's and Scott J and Kent
A. also have good experience I have been told. I can only say that if I were
doing this I would speak to an expert, and from my experience (and it has
been very real lately), talk to someone who can show you a finished product
and then talk to the customer.