[torsen] Torsen vs Quaife

Dupree, Jim dupree at alldata.com
Mon Oct 29 20:57:07 EST 2001

Depending on how the original Patent(s) were written there may be no patent
rights conflicts. The two are actually quite different in construction,
which is often a key part of a patent. All the gears in a Quaife run
parallel to each other and in the Torsen some run perpendicular. It was also
my understanding that the Quaiffe acts more like a locked diff under load,
more sensitive to the power applied. I don't have any significant experience
with either (driven cars with both but not much) and it has been several
years since I have seen a Quaiffe apart and I have never seen a Torsen