[torsen] Driveshaft angularity info needed...

Jeffrey Goggin audidudi at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 31 19:35:02 EST 2001

I've been trying to determine how much lifespan/torque capacity is
sacrificed by running a CV joint at an angle instead of straight but thus
far, my research has come up empty.  Does anybody know the answer or able
to tell me where I can find it?

The reason I ask is that I've decided life will be much easier if I can
move the engine/transmision combo on my V8/UrQ project backwards by 2-3" as
this will open up the same amount of space on the front of the engine and
let me install a factory a/c condensor instead of fabricating one (read:
having one <ka-ching> fabricated) to run behind the valance.  I think it
will also improve the car's weight distribution and make servicing the car
in the future a little bit easier.

Yes, I'll have to fabricate new tranny mounts, shorten the driveshaft and
shift linkage, etc. but all of this is pretty straightforward stuff that I
can handle myself whereas fabricating a two-piece a/c condensor and
associated hoses, etc. is something I can't handle at the moment.  The
transmission tunnel appears to be large enough that there shouldn't be any
interference problems there (especially as I'll probably end up lowering
the trans/engine slightly in the process) and there will still be plenty of
room -- well, enough room -- between the engine and firewall to work on the
steering should that ever be necessary.

Anyway, if anybody has any hard data about driveshaft angularity and its
effect on CV joints, I'd appreciate a pointer.

Jeff Goggin
Scottsdale, AZ