[torsen] [s-cars] Re: More on torsen

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Thu Apr 11 11:50:03 EDT 2002

The documentation on what Biela and Bell ran doesn't need any interview,
Racecar Mag did extensive reviews, interviews and tech facts regarding what
Bintcliff, Biela and Bell used.  The A4 TC used VC's or locked, not torsens.
VC's in the center were either 40-60r, 35/65r, or 45/55r, the "safest being
the 40/60r" - Roger King, UK Audisport.  The spool was "mainly used on
sweeping high speed circuits that didn't require too much differential
action.... "

In the Biela interview (using VC center)...  "The car tends toward slight
understeer in slow and medium-speed corners and slight oversteer in fast
corners.  That's a general characteristic of a 4wd car.  It's what we have
been fighting with for the past five years, first on the v8 DTM cars and now
with the ST cars.  I have to adapt my driving style to allow for the handling
characteristics of the car because, LIKE EVERY OTHER DRIVER I WOULD PREFER
UNDERSTEER IF I HAD THE CHOICE.  AN UNDERSTEERING CAR IS EASIER TO DRIVE."

BTW, in my interview with Stig Blomqvist, he preferred and specified locked
center on his rally rides.  A detailed look at his record in 83 and 84 WRC
certainly indicates that his mastery of the quattro driveline in this
configuration was without equal on the team both years.

SJ

R writes:
>Taka
>The best people to ask are Frank Biela and Derek Bell, for what has
>been done by a non-factory team in the US and a factory team in
>Europe. Frowein can confirm the current RS4 details.

R+C