[torsen] Re: [urq] Quattro handling

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Fri Apr 12 11:50:32 EDT 2002

Thorough reads of awd documentation, especially urq's are available, and
dictate that all is not lost with your q.  It's a driving technique thing.
In like a lamb out like a lion, no one speaks it more exactly than herr
Buffum himself.  Stig Blomqvist also shares that you need to adjust driving
to the understeer, and once you do, driving quattro is easier because of
predictability.  Jeff Goggin hit the nail on the head, quattro is more a fwd
car than a rwd car, stop trying to fight it's character, learn to drive it.
Interestingly, Stig's sucesses were in fwd Saab's before quattros.  You look
at his record (especially in the N/A 80q vs A1), this really becomes the main
issue in terms of driving q's hard.

You *must* also be proficient in Left Foot Braking technique to properly
drive a quattro IME/O/R.  AWD is driving FWD with LFB.  You must also
understand that those diff locks are there for a reason.  There are very few
cars that can outhandle a properly driven urq on a track or on the street.

You really sound like a good candidate for a ACCNA driving school.  Take a
ride with Keith Anderson, or a couple others that have a high understanding
of the urq in terms of handling...  You will find that the upper limit is
higher than even the latest and greatest.  The urq is one of the finest of
the quattro heritage, in performance and predictability.  You also will find
in EVERY read, even the best quattro race drivers continue to learn about
it's limits, you *won't* find any driver (buffum, stig or WR included) that
claims mastery.

"After that rally I realsized what was happening.  It was because I was
applying fwd techniques to a 4wd car.  With front wheel drive you control the
attitude of the car with the brake.  With rear wheel drive you control the
attitude with the throttle.   With 4wd you balance between the brake and
throttle to keep the car in an attitude so that ou can use the advantages of
4wd to accelerate as soon as possible out of a corner.  You use the
advantages of power and improved 4wd traction to acclerate out of the corner
and down the straightaway.  After I figured out what I was doing I was much
better the next rally and kept improving until I stopped in 1987" - John

In a message dated 4/12/02 9:10:53 AM Central Daylight Time,