[torsen] Re: [s-cars] Re: More on torsen

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Fri Apr 12 12:50:03 EDT 2002

VC's have been the diffs of choice for audi (when not scutinized under
homog), you can see it as early as 1983 with the A1's (rear diffs).
Certainly since the "torsen" years (1983>), find them in audi racing is
scarce to rumor.  Again, pre A4/S4tt messing with BR of 78-22 vs 80-20 isn't
going to yeild much in terms of gains, on track or otherwise.

I'm also quite convinced that once Stasis sells "enough" of the BR mods, they
too will use the VC's.

WRT "tuning", the main issue is really the matrix involved:  Weight
distribution, COG, wheelbase, cf/cof, engine torque...  In essence (and this
isn't "opinion"), you change any of the above variables, the "optimal" BR
also changes.  Tuning race cars means you might have optimized the variables
above for a given venue, which means that it's possible to have it perform
pretty well on a road course with xx turns.  Tire and cf/cof is one variable
that's hard to keep at a constant, track OR street.  So, that VC will still
want by.

I'm no expert Linus, only well read on the subject, and well heeled in street
car btdt.  No question in my mind *whatever* Stasis does, it appears to work
for them.  My main reason posting on the subject was specific to the S car
list (neu and old):  ALL the above variables that affect torsen are
different, so claims of 60hp equivelents need a bit of tempering, and 500USD
is a lot of money to spend on either car for optimizing variables that don't
translate directly to street cars.  I'd also be more interested in a comparo
of torsen (whatever BR) vs locked (baseline).  It could also easily tell you
if a) you are moving in the right direction, and b) if this is a
chassis/driveline problem, or a driver education one.

HTH

Scott Justusson