[torsen] Re: [urq] RE: Quattro handling

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Sat Apr 13 10:11:46 EDT 2002

Minhea, this is correct.  For more, go to Torsen at audifans.com

 >the only other issue with the locked centre is that, in tight
>turns, the car will understeer due to axle wind-up..

More specifically, both axles must rotate at the same speed, so the steering
wheels with the most slip will slip more, causing U.

>all later audi's understeer more than i like - mind you so do most modern
>cars fwd, & rwd.  the late ur-quattro doesn't (it is better than e.g. my old
>s2).  however, both the torsen and non-torsen cars can get into a situation
>where they will understeer excessively and only lifting and unwinding the
>steering will help.  lfb also works well with my cars...

The problem with torsens in urq's or 90q, is that under power up, torque
transfer fore and aft causes more U than the locker.  This is because the
sudden power shift at the limit of adhesion first overloads front/rear
tractive ability, then the rear/front tractive ability.  I have a really neat
back to back video of this in action at Steamboat my locker urq vs S4tt in a
snow/ice roundabout.  The s4tt drifted all the way out to the outside,
whereas the urq was able to stay much more centered on track.