[torsen] Re: [urq] Quattro handling - a relevant quote

Fundsalo Racing fundsaloracing at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 15 23:00:34 EDT 2002

"It is better to go into a corner slowly and come out
fast than it is to go in fast and come out dead."
Sterling Moss

-glen

OOOO

--- QSHIPQ at aol.com wrote:
> --
> Don:
> Thorough reads of awd documentation, especially
> urq's are available, and
> dictate that all is not lost with your q.  It's a
> driving technique thing.
> In like a lamb out like a lion, no one speaks it
> more exactly than herr
> Buffum himself.  Stig Blomqvist also shares that you
> need to adjust driving
> to the understeer, and once you do, driving quattro
> is easier because of
> predictability.  Jeff Goggin hit the nail on the
> head, quattro is more a fwd
> car than a rwd car, stop trying to fight it's
> character, learn to drive it.
> Interestingly, Stig's sucesses were in fwd Saab's
> before quattros.  You look
> at his record (especially in the N/A 80q vs A1),
> this really becomes the main
> issue in terms of driving q's hard.
>
> You *must* also be proficient in Left Foot Braking
> technique to properly
> drive a quattro IME/O/R.  AWD is driving FWD with
> LFB.  You must also
> understand that those diff locks are there for a
> reason.  There are very few
> cars that can outhandle a properly driven urq on a
> track or on the street.
>
> You really sound like a good candidate for a ACCNA
> driving school.  Take a
> ride with Keith Anderson, or a couple others that
> have a high understanding
> of the urq in terms of handling...  You will find
> that the upper limit is
> higher than even the latest and greatest.  The urq
> is one of the finest of
> the quattro heritage, in performance and
> predictability.  You also will find
> in EVERY read, even the best quattro race drivers
> continue to learn about
> it's limits, you *won't* find any driver (buffum,
> stig or WR included) that
> claims mastery.
>
> "After that rally I realsized what was happening.
> It was because I was
> applying fwd techniques to a 4wd car.  With front
> wheel drive you control the
> attitude of the car with the brake.  With rear wheel
> drive you control the
> attitude with the throttle.   With 4wd you balance
> between the brake and
> throttle to keep the car in an attitude so that ou
> can use the advantages of
> 4wd to accelerate as soon as possible out of a
> corner.  You use the
> advantages of power and improved 4wd traction to
> acclerate out of the corner
> and down the straightaway.  After I figured out what
> I was doing I was much
> better the next rally and kept improving until I
> stopped in 1987" - John
> Buffum
>
> HTH
>
> SJ

> Daylight Time,
> DGraber460 at aol.com writes:
>

> Thanks to all that responded.
>
> I'm somewhat dismayed by the consensus that
> [...]

=====
-glen  "Upon common theaters, indeed, the applause of the audience is of more importance to the actors than their own approbation. But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience dissapproves, the loudest applause of the world are of little value."

John Adams

OOOO