[torsen] Re: Time for a little light relief, was[urq] Quattro handling

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Thu Apr 18 12:10:57 EDT 2002

Type WRC in any search engine, the full spec on any wrc can be found.  Most
use either full time haldex (which is adjustable), VC/VC differential lock,
or electronic locker (or combination of the above),  front LSD is usually
driver preference (mostly open or very low locker).

WRT doing donuts, any quattro can do donuts with enough power or low enough
cf.  Torsen centers are the best for this, actually since you just wing the
wheel and put the power (to the back mostly).  At RA a couple years ago,
rally development and trainer Freddy Kotulinsky had a bunch of the 1.8t boys
doing some nice tail out power slides around a circle.  Quite amusing to
watch that the first day, then put all that on the track the next day in the
rain, things weren't quite so, er, repeatable(?).  50 some offs by the
eventmaster count, guess the center diff in 95% of them.....

WRT damaging the diff, I suppose it's possible, those shims are brass.  I
know that some of the S4tt were known to have blown them out a couple times
early on.  They are high heat generators.

Ouch Sean, I didn't go there that far!

:)

SJ

In a message dated 4/18/02 8:22:38 AM Central Daylight Time,