[torsen] Re: [s-cars] Torsens is there a difference ??!!

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Tue Dec 3 11:40:35 EST 2002

Rob et. al.:
I'm not really convinced that this is good information, I suppose it could
be, but I doubt it.  The S cars use the "university special" known as the
M021-DHU, it's basically the same unit audi used from 1988>.  As far as I can
tell, they are all the same, AND the ways to modify them would be steel shims
and/or changing friction within the unit.  I'm suspect of the 75% torque vs
80% torque, cuz really we are looking at a 5% torque differential here
(assuming all cars are equal in terms of torsens, they aren't, they wear
immediately and stabilize at something much less than the 3.5TBR).  If you
math this out, we are speaking of less than 50ft/lbs of torque, I doubt
that's at all significant.

751E shows valid for the 5 or 6 speed variants of all 01E based
transmissions.  AND this is the "university special" based basket, which
means that the differences might be getting TO the unit or coming FROM the
unit in terms of splines/size/fitment but the unit itself hasn't changed.
Even torsen admits that .7TBR variation *should* be expected as delivered for
the "new" university special.  I can't imagine that the "old" one could
possibly be better.

I'm most intrigued by the infomation that comes from all different sources,
including zexel torsen themselves.  Audi started a fine tradition of
mystifying this basket of spiders.  I really doubt it's ever been this
complicated.

Rob, Stasis did some data logging of the driveshaft speeds on the torsen in
their race car, it's interesting reading, even if the conclusions might be a
bit off (IMO).

Right now, I will put forth that the 78% vs 75% vs 80%  (this is the first
time I've seen 80% on a center diff referenced, I've seen it as the rear v8
torsen) is well within the production tolerance of the device, and "seeking"
one over the other isn't time or money well spent.  Audi has published 75 and
78% for all 01E based trans (in my library anyway), I wholy consider those to
be both valid, since when new either number could be, when used, neither
number is.

HTH

Scott Justusson

In a message dated 12/2/02 12:09:53 PM Central Standard Time, rbraun at foni.net