[torsen] Re: Snow Driving

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Thu Dec 5 13:10:11 EST 2002

you could put in the torsen front center and rear.  But a couple things to
consider.  First, when audi raced with the "lockers" they used a 20% LSD on
the front, or just ran it full locked.  I suspect this was done for some
reason, most likely you want all or nothing (or darn close to nothing).
That's a LOT of spiders to tame Peter.

The torsen center rear combo certainly has merit tho, and bang for buc is
probably worth every effort AND it shouldn't affect the later EDL equipped
urs cars either.  Some of the S car boys were poking this idea around some on
the scar list.  The only one I know of running this is a 20vt urq conversion
in TX running a torsen center and torsen rear setup out of a v8.  He quite
enjoys it, and it certainly requires the least driver involvement.

I personally like the lockers, and run the center locked a whole lot of the
time.  The rear is a tougher call, since it requires active engagement to get
it's full benefit.  I'm in the process now of isolating the vacuum source for
the lockers to make the rear engagement less sensitive to engine vacuum.  I
will say that the conversion to the later electro pnuematic setup on my 83
has been a fantastic upgrade to the lockers, and my only chase now is the
speed and predictability of engagement, especially at altitude.

Peter, there is no question what you want to to can be done.  However, the
feedback I got on the toyota site (best 4wheeler setup for 4runner offroad is
locker rear and center, torsen front) is that the understeeer from the torsen
front is VERY noticeable.   The solution they used is to convert the
automatic hubs to lockouts.  When the fronts not engaged, the torsen is just
along for the ride.

HTH

Scott Justusson
In a message dated 12/5/02 10:23:50 AM Central Standard Time,