[torsen] 80tq: 10v Header Group Buy?

JShadzi at aol.com JShadzi at aol.com
Tue Jul 2 12:27:36 EDT 2002

Hello all, sorry for the cross posting, I just want to ensure everyone sees
this.  For some time I've been testing the 10v header I built for my 80tq,
after 15k some miles, it appears to be holding up very well, and the design
sound.  Since the topic has come up a few times in the last few days, and
I've recieved dozens of requests for it, I though I'd post where I am with
the process of duplicating my design to offer it to others.  See info about
my prototype at:  http://www.80tq.com/tube_header.html

A very qualified header builder that I used to contract with has agreed to
build the unit in quantities of 10 or more, which is a reasonably sized small
run.  We have agreed on 16g 321 (my prototype is in thick walled 304
stainless), water jet cut CNC flanges, etc.  The quality of his build is
impeccable, undercut TIG welds, no filler, they are the highest quality race
pieces and will not crack.  He regularily builds headers for Porche, BMW, and
other race teams, it is critical that his pieces hold up and do not crack.
Also, my design has proven very well, it fits, does not hit anything, and has
not pulled any studs, etc.  Though its hard to measure the hp increase, see
my thoughts at the site above, I'll be dynoing my car soon, that that may be
one way to gauge its performance increase.

Of course this design will place the turbo where the CIS is now, so CIS cars
may be limited unless they consider moving the fuel dist. elsewhere (into the
fender maybe?).  The stock wastegate will be used, and a choice of either
Garrett or KKK flange can be provided.

This is still a ways off, right now I want to gauge initial interest, I'm not
looking for a commitment per se, but I'd like to know how willing you'd be to
commit once I do make a group buy official.

Realistically cost will be in the $800-$1200 range, 321 is not cheap, and you
don't want a piece like this poorly built.  I'm not looking to make a ton of
money, I will be offering very close to my cost to those interested.  I am
planning on having the motor out of my car later this summer, at which point
the header will be sent out to have a jig built and the project progress.

Let me know if this is something you all are interested in , I really need
about 10 serious people to make it happen.  Also, please pass this on to
anyone you know who might be interested.

Javad Shadzi