[torsen] Re: [s-cars] Unusual Chassis Dynamics?

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Wed Mar 20 10:10:24 EST 2002

Hi Charlie:
At the risk of breaking out of my torsen list exile, I read the following
which compelled me to post.
>The other option is to increase Cf and/or decrease Cr.
>This could be done over a limited range with tire pressure,
>or by choosing different front/rear tires.
>I would caution that any experimentation in this area
>needs to be done with great care and preferably in
>small increments.

I completely understand WHAT the issue is, I've experienced it many times.
If you want to see a bunch of what AUDI found in these scenarios, get a copy
of 885140, 880321 and read the Zexel paper that Dave Eaton gave a
comprehesive copy of:  "Torsen in a center application - zexel paper " -
qlist archives on 06-10-98.  Remember, a torsen has varying characteristic
under power, coast and braking modes.  Much of the print can be applied to a
lot of the anomolies found under "unusual chassis dynamics" as described.
Unfortunately, the issues Paul brought up have been tried in many of these
papers (885140 goes to GVWR in many of their tests).   IME/O you can "reduce"
the "unusual chassis dynamics" by varying some of the matrix involved, but
without changing the device, the problem will still exist during any
situation other than a staight line, INLCUDING transient response.

Scott Justusson

In a message dated 3/20/02 7:35:10 AM Central Standard Time,