[torsen] Re: [s-cars] power distributions

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Thu Mar 28 12:02:13 EST 2002

Charlie:
Audi has documented success with longer tire life in both racing and
rallying, which helped them greatly in tire choice and longevity pit/service
strategy.  Also well documented very early on in quattro: audi chasing the
anomoly of increase in gas mileage over the 2wd counterparts, even with the
increase weight of the quattro drivetrain.  What was found is that the tire
slip of driven wheels is less on a car that drives four (open center) vs 2
(open diff).

One could argue too, however, that the open diff quattro ALWAYS distributes
torque 50% to each drive axle.  The torsen doesn't, it distributes torque
from 22/78>78/22.  It "wants" to return to 50/50, but never really
mechanically "stops" there, the elastic "hunt" means that something that one
of the drive wheels is "constantly slipping".  My own thinking is that the
"order of reduced wear" theory in center diff :
Center open
center VC differential lock
torsen

My .02