[torsen] Re: Torsen differential

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Thu Nov 14 10:40:05 EST 2002

A couple points.  First, the Torsen isn't bulletproof, it wears or breaks,
that's all.  It's not meant to handle large torque applications in the audi
application.  Heavy equipment is actually going towards the Haldex systems,
not the torsen systems.  The main reason you see torsen centers is the
ability to use ABS AND EDL with no human interaction.  Current audi applic
ation torsens are 75/25/75 or 78/22/78 in the pre nue S4 cars, depending on
which audi literature you read.

More than a few folks would say that torsen is "new tech", even audi
considers it "old tech" and is well on the road to haldex equipping quattros.
 The reason you are seeing some of the players coming to torsen late in the
game is just plain money.  Most of your buyers don't off road, don't put the
device at the limit, nor want to have ABS/EDL disabled under full lockup.  I
wouldn't make the jump with you that this makes it a great traction device
(search the archives for volumes).  Can it last the lifetime of the vehicle?
Sure.  Is that the definition of "bulletproof"?  Not to me, but it could be.

When the urS4 and the neu S4 are raced, few are using the torsen (stasis
appears to be the exception), many have had problems with breakage, and the
most rules allow welding of the diff, which tends to keep the breakage
problem at bay.  The offroad racers evaluated and ditched them because they
broke quickly.

What's "new" in terms of technology?  The haldex.  The Haldex engineers claim
that audi could use it in "fulltime" awd mode (actually *they* wonder why
audi doesn't do this), and that the torque levels are virtually limitless
(haldex roots is as heavy equip supplier).  Audi is actually late in the
haldex game, since Jeep has been using the haldex type center diff in their
SUV's for a couple years now.

Scott Justusson
Ascribed torsen antichrist and
Locker dude