[torsen] RE: Torsen differential

Dave.Eaton Dave.Eaton at clear.net.nz
Wed Nov 20 05:40:03 EST 2002

well, i'd say technically and functionally "part-time" awd, and marketing
"full-time" awd :)

the key thing for me is that, in normal operation, there is no engagement
until slip occurs, and therefore no torque distribution until slip.  my
definition of "full-time awd" is a nominal torque distribution in the static
case.  you could achieve it with a haldex lsc, all you need is an integrated
differential.  it interests me that no-one has done one yet.

as i understand it, the pump (called a "feeder pump" by haldex) is used to
prime the clutch on full throttle starts (prior to slip), but is primarily
used (as you've quoted from the haldex web-site) to keep the 2 main
(pumping) pistons closed up to the rollers, to reduce the engagement time.
my description of the use of the feeder pump in abs operation is that the
pump is opened (and presumably disabled) by the ecu on abs operation, as the
throttle valve is connected to it.

however, the feeder pump does not make the haldex an active clutch, not does
it make it capable of "full-time" awd - as per my description above.

i've enjoyed the discussion, thanks.

dave
'95 rs2
'90 ur-q