[torsen] Re: Haldex Riddle

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Wed Nov 20 10:56:01 EST 2002

Let me know how your discussions go with the Hboys.  I see a lot of
interesting possibilities wrt the Gen II.  Actually regarding the Gen 1.
Let's say for example one was to take one of those cheap BMW (or expensive
audi) pressure bombs, and use it for *adding* force when there is no pumping
action caused by speed differential. IN reality tho (my thinking), you would
only need to decrease the amount of acceptable wheel slip to activation
program, it's currently at 15% (haldex claim) of rotation.  With a more
agressive piston/valve system that really could be 0 (yes?), certainly darn
close.  Which means that you would have 100% power up all the time (even in
straight line).  Now I'm really starting to like this toy.

WRT your other comments, the direction I'm trying to lead you and dave is
going directly AT a switch or any electronic input ala the Haldex
"alternative awd switch" mentioned way at the bottom of the concept page.
Right now, we are starting to get agreement that the full (and really partial
for that matter) lockup mode CAN be controlled externally by an infinite
variety of inputs (like just windshield wipers>on putting the haldex in
Defcon 3 mode).  Which means that it's also possible to dictate externally,
ANY torque allocation point between 5% and lockup at ANY time (given:
pressure in the system).  I see steamboat being a bunch more fun already :)

Keith, I'm very curious as to the possibilities of operation in the Gen II
system.  Right now, I see the basics in the Gen I system to really have all
the ingredients for a fully active awd system with all sorts of possible
combinations/tweeks available, without losing any of the ability wrt that
60ms disengagement.  Haldex "hints" at this many places on their website.
All this certainly would add to your job security, that'a a lot of

Thanks for helping me work this thru.  Since VC have NAC whatsoever (except
ironically when audi raced quattros), we should save that discussion for some
beers at a later meet.

Lockers rule (er, for now)....  Haldex VC into my urq?  I already have the
switches for it, a reostat and a bit o tweeking to the calibration of the A/F
guage to 5-45% transfer rear, bingo. :)