[torsen] Torsen diffs

Buchholz, Steven Steven.Buchholz at kla-tencor.com
Fri Apr 18 14:31:20 EDT 2003

... the torsen has a fairly limited range of bias ratios that it will
operate under, and once the bias ratio (i.e. the ratio between the power
sent to the non-slipping wheel and the one that is slipping) is reached the
Torsen really isn't that much better than an open diff.

Interestingly, when EDL kicks in and begins applying the brakes to the
spinning wheel it means that the Torsen will be able to supply that much
more power to the wheel that still has traction.  I did not consider this
until just now thinking about it ... it seems to me that this means that
less power will be lost in the braking of the spinning wheel as with an open
diff the amount of power sent to both wheels would be identical ...

Steve Buchholz
San Jose, CA (USA)