[torsen] Preparing New Engine For Use ...

Buchholz, Steven Steven.Buchholz at kla-tencor.com
Mon Apr 28 21:10:37 EDT 2003

Thank you VERY much for the detailed list!  I really appreciate the time you
spent putting it together!  It took me a while to respond as I was off work
last week ... hoping to be installing said engine into my car ... as the
saying goes about best laid plans ...

I'm still waiting for some critical parts before I can do the swap, but I
did do a good bit of preparatory work ... and in so doing I found out that
my "new" engine isn't *brand* new ... but it does not have a lot of run time
on it.  Based on what I have found so far I'm suspecting that this engine
may have been sent to the states to be used for training on the then new V8
engine.  The engine serial number predates any car that was built for US
production.  It has single ground electrode spark plugs and the insulators
had a light black deposit on them.  I also noticed a little bit of black
tracking on the inside of the dizzy caps.  The thing that got me started was
that the crank bolt was a bit loose when I attempted to spin the engine
over.  I also found one of the bolts for the right timing belt cover only
finger tight.  Given the fact that the engine is all alloy I'm not too
worried about internal damage due to improper storage, but I will be
replacing the timing belt as a precaution.

Steve Buchholz
San Jose, CA (USA)