[torsen] The Die Is Cast ...

Buchholz, Steven Steven.Buchholz at kla-tencor.com
Tue Jan 28 16:01:27 EST 2003

Well, it looks as though the Woodruff key fractured on the P&P'ed 5kT solid
lifter head my '83 ur-quattro has been wearing of late.  While this is
extrememly frustrating given all the other dead cars I've got, it is
probably a good thing in the long run since I have all those parts ready to
go on the car and should get moving on them.  I need to make a few
decisions, so I thought I would make a post to get some recommendations on
moving forward.  Thanks to any and all who take the time to help!

Let's see if I can remember all of the parts that are sitting on the shelf
... I have a bare head casting ... and was told it was the last one
available for the WX (not sure I believe it).  The interesting thing about
it is that it has a fitting to support the air shrouded injectors, which
I've contemplated taking advantage of.  I also have a 2-piece exhaust
manifold and a set of Wiseco pistons from Javad's GP.  I have my old WX
head, which should only need to have the #2 exhaust valve changed ... and a
bunch of old valves and springs from when I had the head redone back in the
late '80s.  I already have a "tweaked" (extrude honed and modified)
oil-cooled K-26 turbo installed on the car.

My goals: #1 I want the engine to look as close to the original as possible
so as not to arouse a smog pro, and hopefully blow pretty clean.  My
secondary motivation for #1 is to have the car remain relatively stock.  I
like the dual knock sensor control system of the MC-2 engine ... I actually
have a MAC-14 ECU and am working to get the wiring harness and sensors that
go with it.  Since there is a question about mounting the knock sensors, I'm
considering a switch to an MC-2 engine ... but was not originally planning
to increase the compression ratio.

I am planning to have the exhaust manifold heat coated ... more to keep the
under-hood temps down ... and will probably opt for a larger downpipe from
the turbo to the cat ... which I would also have coated.  Eventually I'd
like to go EFI with the engine ... but I'm so worried about the smog
inspections.  I also have read through some of the earlier talk on intake
and exhaust valve sizing ... but haven't come to a conclusion on what I
think is best.

I think I'll cap it with that for now ... don't want to make the message too
long!  If any of you have any comments on what I'm considering ... things
that you've tried that didn't work well, or suggestions I did not include
... I'm open to them and appreciative of the effort.  I will also be looking
for info on vendors I can consider for the head and exhaust work.

Steve Buchholz
San Jose, CA (USA)