[torsen] Torsen 3

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 08:55:28 EST 2004

no and yes Joe.  You can set any torsen to have more TBR to a specific axle,
and in fact the T-3 system is designed to specifically allow that.  That said,
I'm not convinced that modifying a torsen on a street car is really worth
doing.  I'm not convinced that modifying a torsen on a race car is *necessarily*
worth doing either (I questioned Stasis own datalogging on AW forums without
much feedback from them).  Certainly on a Passat Justin, if your plan is to
"procure" one (as in extra), then send it to Stasis for modification, I've got a
better idea for you....

Buy dedicated wheels and tires.  Get really good snows (blizzacks/hakka Q's),
then go nuts on a set of summer wheels and tires.  With any extra money you
have left over, go to a drivers school, then if you still have money left, get
yourself and your car up to the Steamboat winter driving track

My thoughts on torsen center diffs isn't going to change with the T-3.  The
T-3 came about because of pressure from the boys at Haldex.  Frankly, I'm more
of a fan of fulltime haldex than any Torsen center diff, but that's just me.

Bottom Line:  Don't let Stasis or anyone else do a damn thing to your torsen
until you understand exactly what it is you really 'want' them to do, and how
the device works.  Modifying a torsen on any street car can be bested by
wrenching on the nut behind the wheel, not mechanically what's driving them.

Scott "torsen boy" Justusson

In a message dated 1/5/2004 4:19:11 PM Central Standard Time,