[torsen] Torsen 3

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 09:44:28 EST 2004

The T-3 is designed specifically to be a center application, unlike the T1/T2
versions which could be front/center/rear diffs with a housing change.  It
doesn't appear that the T-3 is a twin diff (akin to the VC differential lock -
over the center axle diff) in the new 4motion.  In the twin diff format, dual
split capability is possible, but from the looks of the application, it appears
to be at an infancy stage.  Again, this appears to be a response to the
Haldex VC differential lock design.  Since Torsen advantage is always engaged vs
coupling, I'm not really sure what the thinking is there, maybe just the
"possibilities" increase?

It is interesting to note that since 2000 the TBR of torsen center
applications has narrowed significantly, closing in on that 50/50 locker we Gen 1 guys
have come to find most predictable.  The 20% lockup in the T-3 really shows
that it's becoming Gen 1 with ABS function and oversteer on powerup. Improved

In a message dated 1/6/2004 8:17:56 AM Central Standard Time,