[torsen] Torsen 3

Justin Wasik Justinw at rga.com
Tue Jan 6 09:59:59 EST 2004

Scott

Thanks for the suggestions...

Just for the record, I've been driving on the track now for 2 years with the
Passat.  I use a set of 17x8.5" SSR competition lightweight wheels with a
set of summer tires(Yoko ES100s and switching to Hoosiers).  I've upgraded
the braking system with stainless steel lines all around along with the BIRA
level 1 upgrade using the porsche boxster calipers with larger rotors.

When I come out of a hard corner I get alot of understeer which requires me
to let off the gas and loose a gear when I'm in the sweet spot of the power
ratio.  The other problem is that during hard braking just before these
tight turns the front end tires heat up too much, due to the hard brake
situation and then trying to immediately get back on the gas to get the
monster to turn in.

I spoke directly with Paul at Stasis Engineering about his race applications
that swap out the gearing in the center differentials to achieve a higher
TBR to the rear in the above situation.  The rear diff change would mainly
be to increase drag style track racing by moving most of the TBR to the rear
and similiar to the front change.  The Passat weighs alot and power is only
about 200hp/190lbs so I'm looking to get the most out of the driveline that
I can.  I would have purchased their upgrade on a trial basis but we later
found out that the  new model Passats use the T3 and they've never worked
with the newer T3 or an automatic tranny.  So my agreement with them is to
find a working model (flow charts and such) or ship them an entire assembly.

I've emailed Torsen a number of times along with some other contacts that
were suggested and I've gotten no response.  I've even gone along the lines
of requesting info through the torsen academic programs, to none avail.

Thanks all

Justin