[torsen] Re: Torsen 3

Keith Maddock Keith.Maddock at TRW.COM
Thu Jan 8 13:25:52 EST 2004

From
http://www.torsen.com/products/products.htm

T-1 (Type A)
This is the original differential that was introduced in the AM General HMMWV (Hummer®) and the Audi Quattro which has seen considerable growth in other worldwide applications.   This is our crossed axis helical (Invex*) higher torque bias differential.
T-2 (Type B)
This differential is only a few years old and adds a wide range of torque bias coverage for the Zexel Torsen product line.  This type of differential is referred to as our parallel axis helical (Equvex*) differential which was designed to accommodate Ford and GM C-Clip applications
T-2R (RaceMaster)
The T-2R is a higher bias T-2 torque sensing parallel axis differential designed for the more performance minded driver.  The higher bias found in the T-2R, like the T-1, allows the transfer of more available torque to the wheel that can better use it.
T-3 (Type C)
The newest differential style of the Torsen product line.  The T-3 is currently offered in a single or Twin Differential configuration (The twin differential has an open differential surrounded by a Torsen differential!).  This versatile unit is ideally suited for center applications and is designed for those hard to package all wheel drive systems.  The design of the Type C allows for a torque split other than 50:50 with a majority of available torque going to either the front or rear axle.

Keith Maddock, TRW Automotive,  Koblenz, Germany
Slip Control Systems, Systems Design, Traction Control
+49 (0)261/ 895 2474    -   -   keith.maddock at trw.com
@ Raco, MI USA Winter Test Track 06.01.04 - 16.01.04
     Raco Phone: +1 (906) 248 3882    Extension 27

>>> "Derek Pulvino" <dbpulvino at hotmail.com> 13:08:31 08.01.2004 >>>
Ahh, so there were running changes in the torsen diff itself?  Was this in
the biasing ratio?  It's hard for me to conceptualize what they could have
changed in the diff itself.  Packaging, strength, other?

And i guess now that I think of it, the early audi quattro was torsen free
and that's why they opted for the full lockers?  If that's the case, I would
have blown my whole torsen I argument out.

derek p