[torsen] Newbie needs advice re AWD differentials

Stephan C. Stille stillesc at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 15:22:39 EST 2004

>From my rudimentary knowledge of the available differentials within the VAG, I would like some advice as to what might be the best fit for me.

>From what I understand, Torsen is a permanent 50/50 split of power allocation, unless circumstances demand more torque to one axle or the other...

The Haldex is basically a permanent FWD, unless circumstances demand more torque to one axle or the other...

My intended use:  mostly mountainous asphalted curves, and lots of highway driving, some trails.

My concern is the wear of the permanent Torsen vs the Haldex (situational wear).

I am looking to purchase either a used quattro IV Torsen (A4 or A6 95-98) or a new Haldex (Skoda 4x4).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,  Stephan