[torsen] Spider Bites in the new milenium...

Jeffrey Goggin jeffrey.goggin at cox.net
Mon Jul 4 08:44:24 EDT 2005

> Simple answer, NO. No Spider bite. Not in my extremely Modded S4 or
> the S4 race car that I co-drive (And is Setting lap records at every
> track it turns a wheel)
> Not that it ever existed in the first place, it was "Created" by a so-
> called quattro expert to explain why he wadded up someone's car.
> infact he still claims that the "Spider-bite" makes the A4 and the S4
> all but impossible to drive at the track

I guess I should take your comments seriously because when it comes to
questionable claims, you're certainly one who has some expertise (and
experience) in that regard!

That said, as I explained previously, I've not experienced the "spider
bite" phenomenon in my A4, despite having provoked it severely on
several occasions.  At the same time, I'm not convinced that a Torsen
center diff is the best possible choice for performance driving,
especially not autocrossing, which involves tighter turns and more
aggressive load transfers than typical roadcourse work..