[torsen] Torsen center diffs...

Jeffrey Goggin jeffrey.goggin at cox.net
Sat Jun 25 15:06:50 EDT 2005

Some answers:

1) The modification and update/backdate rules on drivetrain parts are
somewhat convoluted, but in short, drivetrain mods are essentially free.
I can update/backdate complete assemblies (engine/tranny/diff) and I can
modify them pretty much however I see fit.  Accordingly, I've purchased
a complete used 2.0L: engine setup that should arrive here in Arizona in
mid-July and be installed and running by the end of August.  Per the
printout from its dyno session last September, it was putting out 335hp
(at the wheels!) at 29psi of boost on 101 octane race gas.  Should be
fun!  {BTW, it's because of this considerable increase in power I'll be
dealing with that  I've started thinking about Torsens again, since the
tires know nothing about torque splits and bias ratios, and only see
absolute figures.)

2) For the moment, I'm running wider wheels in front (8x16) than in rear
(7x16) but the same size tires.  I'll ultimately run 9x16s in front and
8x16s in rear, but this is  something that will have to wait until I
replenish my "toy" budget.  I'm still getting back up to speed about
Torsen diffs, and based upon my present understanding, it isn't clear to
me that running different diameter tires front and back will  have much
effect upon the torque split...