[torsen] Spider Bites in the new milenium...

Jeffrey Goggin jeffrey.goggin at cox.net
Mon Jun 27 23:05:29 EDT 2005

Okay, here's the deal: I've now driven my A4 in an even dozen autocross
events since January (6 to 8 runs each), as well as a novice driver's
school (hey, it was seat time) where I was able to make 20 runs and
spend an hour playing around on a skidpad, and I've yet to experience
anything even remotely similar to the "spider bite"  phenomenon that
caught me off-guard in my '89 200q back in 1997-1999.  There is no
question that my A4, as presently setup, is the quickest Audi I've ever
driven around an autocross course -- at yesterday's event, I was able to
run times that split the Z06 Corvettes in SS! --  even if it's not yet
as competitive in its class as I would like.  Although it doesn't (yet)
have enough power to kick the back end out at will, on those occasions
when the back end does break loose, the car is usually easy to control
with a bit of opposite lock and a deft foot on the throttle.  In fact,
yesterday, I had the back end let go several times at the fourth cone in
a seven-cone, top-of-second-gear slalom and despite having the car luch
from opposite lock in one direction to opposite lock in the other
direction four times, I didn't hit a pylon even once and was easily able
to bring the car back under control after it scrubbed off a bit of speed
and the course didn't require me to keep the car turning...

I'm told (but haven't yet confirmed) that Audi reduced the Torsen's bias
ratio from 3:1 (Type 44, B4) to 2:1 for the B5 chassis cars.  Is this
"softer" bias ratio the reason why I haven't experienced any "spider
bites" with my A4?  Or was the "spider bite" a chassis problem after
all?  Stasis Engineering offers a $550 mod for A4/S4 Torsen center diffs
that increases the bias ratio to 4:1 (and I'm told, 5:1 is also
available) and are racing this diff in their Speedvision cars
semi-successfully, likewise without experiencing any "spider bites."
Frankly, I don't know what to think now.  The theory behind the "spider
bite" still strikes me as being sound, yet I've provoked my A4 several
times now and it has yet to even _hint_ at biting me, let alone actually
do so...

Which brings me to my question: With performance as my primary goal,
should I modify the spare Torsen center diff I recently bought off eBay
to _increase_ the bias ratio or should I have it welded up and instead
turn it into a locked center diff?  To complicate matters further, the
research I've done suggests the Type 016 Torsen center diff is a direct
swap for the Type 01A's Torsen, which (if true) means I have the option
of bolting-in a locked center diff, leaving the OEM A4's 2:1 diff alone,
swapping a 3:1 Torsen from a Type 016 tranny (the one in my '89 200q
comes to mind!) or modifying/having Stasis modify the OEM 2:1 diff into
a 4:1 or even 5:1 diff.  Decisions, decisions...

Mind you, all is not well in Torsen land.  Thanks to the fact the Torsen
center diff is a torque multiplier, when the inside rear tire lifts (as
it has on every Audi I have ever setup for autocrossing), AWD becomes
ZWD (zero-wheel drive), causing the car to coast through the turn until
it slows enough the inside rear wheel drops back to the ground, the
Torsen starts allocating torque again, and forward motion resumes.  This
has been a major problem for me, despite EDL (which seems to react too
slowly to be of any help), and I've spent quite a bit of time trying to
soften the rear bar and stiffen the rear springs in order preserve the
handling balance that otherwise seems to work so well while keeping the
inside rear tire planted.

Fortunately, the cure's relatively straightforward: Install a
clutch-type limited-slip in the rear diff housing.  Stasis Engineering
sells one ($1895!) but a used 944 LSD will also fit with some minor
die-grinder work and although they are becoming hard-to-find without a
transmission attached, when they do turn up, they can be had for
$5-800.  I've had one for a couple of months now, but haven't managed to
get it in the car since I have to farm it out to someone with the proper
tools and I've not been able to coordinate my schedule with theirs.
Quaife also offers a torque-sensing rear diff for the A4/S4 (not because
there's any great demand for it from Audi owners, but because it also
happens to fit the Porsche Boxster!) but since it shares the same ZWD
characteristic of the Torsen center diff, this really doesn't solve the
problem.  Nor would a rear Torsen from a V8, assuming it would even fit.

Anyway, there you have it.  In years past, I was one of the louder
voices in the choir (hah!) and although I still know the lyrics, the
sound is rather different these days.  Has anyone ever been bitten in a
B5 chassis car?  Discuss among yourselves...