[torsen] Rallycross and e-brake turns

E. Roy Wendell IV erwendell at mac.com
Sun Dec 3 23:25:19 EST 2006

I did my first rallycross today with my 200tq.

I needed oversteer, and lots of it at the right time. The tried and
true solution is a quick yank of the e-brake.

At first I tried applying it lightly and over a relatively long
period of time, kind of like I used to do when left foot braking a
fwd car I used to ice race in. This resulted only in a slowing of the
whole car and no oversteer. In desperation, I tried hard, quick
application of the e-brake. Voila! It worked and my times came down a

What I want to know is why I can get away with doing this. I know,
from theory, that trying to stop the rear wheels from rotating causes
the torsen to lock, which is why I end up slowing the whole car and
still understeering. But why does the quick application and release
work? Is there a certain amount of differential rotation allowed
before the torsen really starts locking? I would have thought not but
reality and theory have a way of diverging.

Roy Wendell
erwendell at mac.com
Too many type 44 tq
A pair of MR2s