[urq] Re: Oil Leak!

Ado Sigal a.sigal at bluewin.ch
Mon Apr 11 19:34:39 EDT 2005

Jim Haseltine wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ado Sigal" <a.sigal at bluewin.ch>
>> The oil lines go to and from the oil filter not turbo, and are known
>> to leak. The mystery object is the oil thermostat housing, not famed
>> for leaking.
> Over the past year I've seen two cracked housings (one on my own car),
> both were caused (at least my theory anyway) by badly shaped non-OE
> oil cooler lines which had been touching the body because the rh
> engine had mount failed.
> New housing for a MB engine - GBP160 + tax (approx US$300) and that's
> just for the bare casting, no thermostat and the hollow stud that the
> filter screws onto isn't there either.
> Regards,
> Jim Haseltine
Sorry folks, the message should of read that lines go to and from the
oil cooler and turbo etc. You are right Jim, in saying that cracked
housings happen as a result of solid parts of oil lines touching the
body, even OM lines are difficult to adjust at the filter and oil cooler
end, but a leak after the storage IME comes from rusted oil line
fittings. However, the hard facts would have to be established by having
a good look with a torch and a mirror.