[urq] ///S4cylinder...engine rebuild, not this weekend!

AUDIJIM at aol.com AUDIJIM at aol.com
Fri Mar 24 21:59:27 EST 2006

Today I was all set to spend most of the day light hours working on the
rebuild. Come to find out, I received an incorrect connecting rod bearing half. I'm
using the upper rod bearing half for both the upper and lower. The upper
bearings are hardened and have a P/N of 034 105 701 B. So I have 9 bearing of the
correct type and 1 odd ball bearing half that is the regular lower bearing
part number. I'm kicking myself for not catching this sooner. Note to self: Check
parts against invoice as soon as they are received!!! I also found out that
one of my vendors sent me a complete set of connecting rod bearings that were
labeled main bearings. So now I don't have those either. That box was sealed
and one could only guess that the parts in a sealed box was correct with the
label that was on it indicating that it was a set of main bearings, not
connecting rod bearings. Huge difference!

SO I removed the crank shaft and oil pump and rear main seal flange. I
removed the piston oil squirters and stopped there. Tomorrow I will use the flex
hone and cut the glaze off the cylinders. I guess I could also install the main
bearing cap ARP studs.

I did assemble the piston and Pauter rods this late afternoon. I also
installed the piston rings after I gauged them in the cylinder bore.

That's it for this weekend, what a bust. Maybe I will be able to do more when
the correct bearing half comes in and the new set of main bearings.

quattro mailing list
quattro at audifans.com
Watch this space for ads :)