[urq] Liquid penetrant test - 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone beats Kroil etc.

Ben Swann benswann at comcast.net
Fri Apr 27 01:17:47 EDT 2007

Subject: [MB] Liquid penetrant test

Here is some interesting info to test various liquid penetrants.  This was
taken from a machining site.  Thought I would pass it along for your
consumption.  This is from the Vintage Jap MC list.

The "test" was using a Baldwin compressometer set on 1200-pound scale to
determine the load required to move a "dowel pin" on 6 identical setups.

Since ASCII plain-text email tends to "move around", the three columns which
follow may get messed up, but here goes...

Oil used_________________Avg load(Lbs)to move pin______price/oz

HomeBrew 50-50, ATF&Acetone______53___________________$0.10

FWIW - I know what I'll be trying in a pinch.