[V6-12v] Just bought a 96 A6A

Ron Wainwright ron_01056 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 25 20:08:23 EDT 2005

--- Kent McLean <kentmclean at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Ron Wainwright wrote:
>  > I just bought a 96 A6A with 164k Black with grey
> interior.
> Congratulations. Did you get it at Force 5
> Automotive?

  Yes the Black one. But when I went up there today
Chris had a 98 A6A there looked to be in great shape
as well. The only thing that kept me from changing my
mind & getting the Pearl one he just got was that I
all ready have 4 other Pearl Audis in the driveway
>  > The check engine light is on,
>  > but the car runs & drives great just drove it
> back
>  > from NH to Mass. What do I need to check the
> codes?
> On a '96, I think you need a diagnostic tester. Some
> national
> chain FLAPS do it for free. Call around. Or invest
> in one.

  Yes I've heard others mention that. I have a
Pep-Boys close by I'll take it there. But for future
use were can I get the tester? Or can I make one like
I did for the V8?
>  >  & I hear a squeeling noise coming from behind
> the
>  > center vents I think it's the blower motor?
> IIRC, it's probably the little fan that keeps air
> circulating
> over the interior temp sensor (the little grill on
> top of the
> dash, in the center). Mine occasionally squeals; I
> live with it.

  How much do they go for? & how do I get to it? I
expect to get the manuals for the car soon.
>  > Also what is the timing belt life expectancy?
> 60k,
>  > 90K, or somewhere inbetween?
> Yes. :)  If in doubt, change it now and you probably
> won't have
> to change it again for the life of the car.

  I was planning on doing it. But as you know Kent I'm
familiar with the older type $$'s & the V8,
 so I'm unsure what extra things would be needed to be
done "while I'm in there"?
> --
> Kent McLean
> '94 100 S Avant, "Moody"