[V6-12v] OBD II reader to OBD I

Rob Beatty beattyr2003 at cox.net
Fri Nov 10 18:48:47 EST 2006

Steve and fellow Audifiles,

I am trying to figure out if I can create the same adaptor as the VAG 5051/2
that is used by the VAG-COM software to adapt OBD I to a fairly generic OBD
II code reader.

My wifes 95 A6 Wagon is stuck in limp home mode and I need to pull the
codes.  I am going to get the VAG-COM software and cables, but in the mean
time I need to figure out whats causing the limp home mode and would like to
do that over this weekend if possible.

I saw that Steve has done this previous bit of work with the V8, and I am
wondering if the same thing can be done with the pre-OBD II cars like the 95
A6.  Steve's link is here.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  I have some information on fabrication of
a OBD II interface for the VAG-COM software so I have that bit of
information, I am hoping someone has done this before OR knows what the
actual pinout of the OBD I to OBD II adaptor is and if its pure wiring or if
it actually has some electronics inside it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1995 A6 Q

1995 A6 Q Avant