[V8] V8 5spd conversion...

Shawn Head s4qtro at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 4 18:55:58 EST 2004

Here Here!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: v8-bounces+s4qtro=bellsouth.net at audifans.com
[mailto:v8-bounces+s4qtro=bellsouth.net at audifans.com] On Behalf Of
William Gutierrez
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 3:17 PM
To: v8 at audifans.com
Subject: RE: [V8] V8 5spd conversion...

Perhaps my training as an attorney biases me, but I see this issue
simply.  The conversion work Keith does is trade secret and he is
to keep it that way, i.e., share it with a few under the condition they
not widely disseminate it, in order to maintain the value he has created
learning how to do the job.  It would be totally improper for anyone to
broadly disseminate valuable information they received under condition
not disseminate it.

That said, any one else is free to learn how to do it themselves and to
freely broadcast the information they learn if they choose.  They have
need or obligation to preserve the value of information they derive
independently.  The business world operates on these principles daily.

I suspect in this case, even if someone were able to figure out how to
the swap, few were undertake it for fear of botching the job--as someone

told me recently on another matter:  "It is one thing to tell someone
how to
do brain surgery, it's quite another to do it."   With the clear
Keith displays on this list on a regular basis, I suspect his client
base is

>From: "Coleman, David" <David.Coleman at blackrock.com>
>To: <v8 at audifans.com>
>Subject: RE: [V8] V8 5spd conversion...
>Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:04:42 -0500
>60 hours UNBILLED...  it can't be that easy.
>By the time the next person actually hikes his panties up enough to
>undertake a V8 5-speed swap himself, this and every related thread will
>buried deep in the archives.  No two of these swaps will likely ever be
>same, so a how-to is probably moot anyway.   And just as he has in the
>past, Keith and Co. will try to offer as much advice as reasonable &
>prudent -- far more than any local BMW master tech could.
>Not to kiss his butt (it's of questionable hygiene anyway), but Keith
>offers up more publicly than I would, and I pray it continues.  But, in

>line with Steve B's (the other Steve B, not the '93 mit 5-speed Steve
>comment, their generosity probably contributes to the business they
>Further, I have received much-needed repair advice offlist from AC in
>past, and at times I have provided (insultingly low) remuneration,
>to them directly or at their suggestion, to Dan in their name.
>So if the conversion were done by a lister and local electric fan
>on the side (who would likely pay to never do one again), then I say
>on the soup-to-nuts how-to.  It'd probably be enough to make potential
>DIY'ers think 2x anyway, and go where the experience is.   The only
>more I'd toss out there is that, if it were me, I'd have credited AC
>the git-go and suggested specific questions be routed there, and let
>filter out the perverbial tire-kickers.
>'91 5-speed, 205k miles, willing to trade for '93 w/ low miles.  I keep
>trans and IC.
>Audifans V8 mailing list
>Send posts to: mailto:V8 at audifans.com
>Manage your list connection:
>Have an Audi V8 question?  Check the Audifans Knowledgebase!
>Have a V8 answer? ... Please help others by adding to the KB ... all
>contributions welcome!

Get business advice and resources to improve your work life, from

Audifans V8 mailing list
Send posts to: mailto:V8 at audifans.com