[V8] Restarting when warm

Dustin Carter dustin.carter at lycos.com
Fri Jun 2 00:03:16 EDT 2006

So I decided to take the car for a drive tonight to see if it would stay running.
Prior to the drive I let it idle in the garage to try heat soaking the sensors.  It
worked as the car would not restart.  I let it cool a bit and then squirted some
water around the sensors to cool them off a bit.  This worked and the car started
and ran just fine for the test drive.  I got home, shut it down and let it sit for
a bit less than a minute.  It started back up.  So I left it running in an attempt
to again heat soak the sensors.  Every time I shut it down, it would restart.  So
I shut it down and let it sit for about 2.5 hours.  Now it refuses to start.  The
codes still indicate that the crank angle sensor is bad.  I'm also seeing a 2342
oxygen sensor code, but I think it's unrelated...

Is the starting when hot, but failing to start when cool still indicative of a
bad hall sensor or should I start looking into other possibilities?  I have a new
sensor on its way, but would like to get started looking into other possible
causes as soon as possible, if necessary.

Sounds like it to me as well.  Having it in the "no-start position" is a
better place for the bad one because it only needs to be cool to let you
start the car.  If the problem occurs after only a short stop, you can pour
water just inboard of the driver's side distributor cap to cool it off to
get it started again.