[V8] Audi Bashing

diemarthadie at aol.com diemarthadie at aol.com
Wed Jun 28 20:37:26 EDT 2006

Hi Scott,
I find them regularly praising Audi for interior design and materials, and for overall quality, but they don't always rank #1 in comparisons.  The overall styling of the TT, in particular, has almost always been praised.  Recent issues of Autoweek and Automobile have been pretty Audi-favorable IMO.  The A3 got raves from longterm tests, but also questions about its cost-of-entry level, which I agree is pretty high.  The "S" cars generally get very good reviews, as total cars, but not always as the fastest or most overt.
Personally, I like that Audi styling has stayed fairly conservative myself.  I agree that the V8Q isn't some standout style machine - and I'm VERY glad for it.  It's an elegant, smooth, sedan in a conservative style, that can be dressed up easily with wheels and other personal touches.  I don't have any interest in being 'seen' when I drive, unless its someone that likes the V8 in, and not the badge on, my car, if you know what I mean.  I've actually had 3 different people comment on my V8 in the last week (which was weird...) all saying how much they liked the styling.  One thought it was an A8 one a 5000... so you can't win em all ;)
Audi and MB have both had some issues with reliability lately, and MB was taken to task in Automobile for it in a pretty big article.  Audi seems to be given some slack in that area, considering the number of people I know that have problems with models in the 2000-2006 years.  Ditto on VW.
Only BMW seems to be getting a consistent pass in my eyes - the only fault any car magazine seems to find with BMWs is the iDrive system, and sometimes the hideous styling of Chris Bangle...  Consumer Reports has a slightly different view of reliability ;)