[V8] Weepy oil lines fixed, or "getting re-hosed"

Mike Arman Armanmik at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 30 19:58:00 EST 2006

Finally got annoyed enough at the weepy oil lines on my V8Q to do
something about it - I was also concerned that one might blow out,
marooning me, and anyway, I believe in fixing stuff before it falls
totally apart.

Removed the oil cooler together with the lines from the engine. The oil
cooler is suspended on two rubber-mounted brackets, one on each end,
with a pair of 6mm hex bolts in each one. The oil hoses fasten to the
engine with a 6mm internal hex bolt (allen screw) for each hose, and
then you wiggle the hose out of the oil cooler adaptor block.

Now to remove the hoses from the cooler. Another pair of 6mm allens,
except these have been installed since 1990 (late 1989, actually) and
are rather resistant to being disturbed. The one on the driver's side
comes out with Kroil, a little heat and a shot from a mid-sized air
impact wrench - the trick is to seat the tool fully, and gradually
increase the power until the allen gives up and comes loose - if you
blast away at it, you'll ruin something (probably the oil cooler body).

The other one, on the passenger side, is crusty, nasty and inaccessible.
Not following my own advice, I didn't seat the hex drive fully, and as
soon as I put the air to it, it stripped internally.

I cut the hose clamp (hacksaw) and removed the upper cross pipe. This
was right and proper stuck as well, but with a bit of heat, a lot of
Kroil, the correct profanities, and some wedges and a hammer, it came
out without damage.

Now that I have access to the stripped allen screw, I cut a slot in the
head with the hacksaw, added more Kroil, added some heat - and I guess
it realized I was serious because it, too decided to surrender, and came
right out of the oil cooler body without hurting anything.

A little more persuasion, and the other flex hose came off.

Now I have three parts - an oil cooler, which goes into the drain
bucket, and two grubby, weepy oil hoses, one short one, and one longer
one with a section of pipe on it.

Off to the hydraulic shop where they made me a power steering hose for
my 5K for $35 some time ago - here ya go guys, fix it!

This time I didn't get off for $35.00. The fittings on the hoses are (of
course) non standard and (of course) not re-usable.

Solution - cut off the crimps, silver solder some standard male fittings
onto them (times four), make up two short teflon lined, steel braid
cover oil hoses with fittings to match.

$214 - more than I expected, but what they heck, what does an engine
cost? And I am sure less than OEM hoses.

Install same today, its a little tight (no, it's damn tight!) getting
one of the block fasteners back on because the new hose plus fitting is
larger than the old hose, and the head of the fastener hits the hose.
Solution is to pull the hose part way out of the block, start the bolt,
push the hose the rest of the way in, tighten the bolt. Easier said than
done, working upside down with some very grubby parts where you can't
even see, but it finally went.

Everything bolted together, all fits, looks great - and now I discover
there's something draining the battery and it won't start so I can't
check my work for leaks.

Two hours on a trickle charger, it starts right up with the usual
enthusiastic V8 roar, oil pressure comes up instantly, and after five
minutes of running (and recharging the battery), no leaks in evidence,
so this repair can be pronounced a success.

Now I get to track down the electrical drain - well, I'm good with
electrics (even Audi electrics) so this doesn't scare me.

Best Regards,

Mike Arman

"Not just a car, its an ADVENTURE!"

More information about the V8 mailing list