[Vwdiesel] Update 92 ECO Diesel Alt light on

LBaird119 at aol.com LBaird119 at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 15:14:36 EST 2002

  I show about $193 for a rebuilt 90A alternator and $53 for a Bosch
$26 for a Hella regulator.  I'd tear it down, inspect/replace the bearings,
down the stator rings and put in a new regulator.  Providing it's all kosher
you do that.
  Disassembly is simple.  Pull the big nut off the pulley.  An impact wrench
makes this much easier.  There will be 3 or 4 long bolts holding it all
Then things just tap apart.  You can file down the stator (armature?  I get
mixed up) and then sand it back smooth and round.  Most of us don't have
a lathe.  :(  Sometimes a drill press will do though.  Otherwise patience
a file does quite well.  What to do if the plastic bearing retainer has died
unsure though.  I'd head out for the local auto electrical rebuilder and buy
new one from him. Sometimes you can make out at the wrecking yard.   :)
  Good luck.