[Vwdiesel] Cont'd Electrical gremlins - bad ground?

Lee Hillsgrove hillsgrove at adelphia.net
Fri Nov 8 21:35:10 EST 2002

>On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 07:44:36AM -0500, Lee Hillsgrove wrote:
>>   It almost sounds like a light may be getting left on or something else
>> draining the battery. If you are getting 13.9 V while it's running, and
>> battery is indeed good, it should maintain a charge overnight. On the
>> hand, almost 12 volts when not running isn't that bad, so you may have
>> other problem.
>   "almost 12" is a dead battery. In fact, 12v is a dead battery. A good
>will read a minimum of 12.5v, but should read 13.5 when fully charged. And
>be suspicious at only getting 13.9v charging -- I usually see 15-16v with
>cars. I've had defective alternators that only put out about 13v.

  Doh! Of course 12V while running is no good. Should be 14.2 or
thereabouts. Simple typing error on my part, and my apologies.

 What I meant to write was, "On the other hand, almost 14 volts when not
running isn't that bad, so you may have some other problem."

 I maintain that a good battery that has been sitting overnight will read
12V. Don't forget the reduced capacity of a lead-acid battery that has been
exposed to cold conditions and the problems that that will cause.